It's been a long time since I've written anything, so to anyone who cares, I apologize! I just don't really think our lives are all that exciting, but if you like hearing about it, then, here you go!
I've been doing everything I can think of to find a job, but no real luck yet. I have been accepted as a teaching artist with the Arts Council of Santa Cruz County, which means that local schools that do not have art programs can hire me from among a pool of about 8-10 other artists to come in to teach workshops or residencies. I have developed three possibilities for schools to choose from, ranging from a mixed media identity unit, a mural project and an "I Can't Draw" workshop. This could be a lot of fun, but it's not something that brings in regular income. I have also been chosen to be a sub in another arts council program that teaches high school students to teach art to elementary students. That's a pretty cool idea, don't you think? I'd love to be a regular in that one....maybe someday!
I was invited to a "meet and greet" at the Fusion Academy...a private school in Los Gatos. It was a series of informal interviews with administrators and teachers there, much like speed dating! Apparently, I did well, as the head of school has invited me back for a formal interview. There is not a full time Art position, but I am going to propose piecing together a few different things, such as some clubs, leadership training and possibly my course called Contemporary Issues...something I've been wanting to teach again for a long time. We'll see. It would be a fantastic opportunity...a really cool school! All of the people there are young enough to be my children, but apparently, they feel they might be able to put up with an old lady on their faculty.
I just applied for a job as Activities Director at the school I originally fell in love with here...the Pacific Collegiate Charter School. I really, really want to work there! I'm also waiting to hear if I get an interview at Scott's Valley High School, an International Baccalaureate school about 20 miles away that would be a fabulous job. So, some irons are in the fire, and hopefully, something will come up very soon. We really need income!
I start my summer gig at the Gateway School on Monday, which I'm looking forward to. I'll be teaching Kindergarteners and first graders the first week. We're doing art from around the world...drums and adinkra cloth from Ghana, yarn paintings and pinatas from Mexico, origami from Japan, Inuit style printmaking from the Pacific Northwest, and mardi gras masks from our very own New Orleans. Should be a lot of fun!
Our house is pretty well unpacked, except for some finishing touches. I'll post pictures soon...gotta get going now, though.
We miss everyone and would love to get emails or calls from you when you get a chance. We're making friends, many through our Unitarian Church and others from the barn. Everyone is very nice and we feel super welcome here.
We love you!
Judy and Chris
No comments:
Post a Comment