Friday, August 2, 2013

Life is up, Life is down...

My friends, when people ask me how I like my new life, I cannot give them a simple answer. It's very complicated. Some things are amazing and wonderful. Other things are hard or lonely or sad. But, that's how life is supposed to be, right? At least, I think so.

I always like to start with bad, so I can end on a happy note.

On Tuesday, I was on my way to work, on Ocean Street, which, by the way, really does go directly to the ocean, when a car rear-ended me really hard, knocking me into a pick up truck in front of me and causing him to hit another car in front of him. A real, four car pile up! My little car, who Erik named Wee Dog, took the brunt of the impact, and the hood folded in half and came up to cover my windshield. The rear bumper didn't look that bad, but the floor of the trunk crumpled completely. I missed my second day of work at the Gateway School thanks to that stupid, Mercedes Benz-driving idiot who hit me. His insurance is paying for everything, of course, including my rental car. The only car Enterprise had available that day was a Hundyai Santa Fe, so I took it. Well, the next day, his insurance company called me to tell me that I had to trade it in for a cheaper car, because they would not pay for such a nice car. I had to get something "comparable to my own", which apparently they think is cheap! Humph! So, I went to get a different one the next morning. I drove off the lot in a nondescript sedan and went to a coffee shop to sit and think for a bit. I was not there for five minutes when Enterprise called me to tell me that they made a mistake and rented me a car that was not supposed to be rented out...it was slated to be sold, so could I please com right back and trade it in for something else. They offered to upgrade me to a nicer car with no extra charge, since it was their mistake. So, I drove back there and was given a choice of a black car or a silver car. Guess what I picked? Duh....... So I drove the black car to work and found out that it had NO AIR CONDITIONING! It's hot in California, in case you don't know that....especially at midday. So, I called Enterprise back and told them that I had to have functioning air conditioning, and they agreed. That meant ANOTHER trip to their place to trade for my fourth car of the day. So, now, I am driving a red sedan of some kind...not sure what it is, honestly. I think it's a Kia. Ugly as sin. On the way home, it tells you what your gas mileage is. The car never got over 18 mpg, and my Wee Dog gets 38-40 mpg! So, I called the guy's insurance and complained that I should not have  to pay extra for gas when this accident was NOT MY FAULT! They agreed, so it looks like either I will be getting car number 5, or I will be sending them my gas bills when this is over. My car will be in the shop until Aug. 23rd, at least. The estimate is only $700 under being totaled. When they take it all apart, if they find any more problems that add up to $700, I will lose my precious Ithaca is Gorges Car, and that would really break my heart. So, think good thoughts and send them our way, ok? Thanks!

That's it for the bad news. Oh no, it's not. I forgot. We decided that since I do not have a job yet, and money is really tight and we're getting scared, that we'd better sell our horse trailer. So, I took it to wash it last weekend, then I took a bunch of pictures of it, then Chris helped me put the divider back in it (we didn't use it on the trip out here), wash the inside walls and sweep it all out and I posted it on Craigslist. One email later, a woman came to see it this evening, and I sold it! It's really sad, but all in all, this means that we spent exactly $500 to get Quincy out to California...an unbelievably low cost to bring a horse 3000 miles! I will miss it....I have always wanted a trailer of my own so I could go trail riding and to the beach and all that, but maybe someday, we'll be able to afford it again. For now, I'm just happy that I got such a good price for it and that I will be able to help pay our rent until I get a job.

So, it's time for the good stuff.

I just finished my first week of teaching little children at the Gateway School, and it was SO MUCH FUN!! I taught Art Around the World to ten beautiful 6 and 7 years olds. It was a blast. Today we invited their families and had a great art show/party. It was really fun and I loved it.

Next week, I'll be painting a mural with kids in grades 5,6 and 7. I can't wait! The following week, I'll teach another Art Around the World class and another one called Art of the Masters. I'm excited for both of them.

The biggest, best news, though, is that I have two (that's right....TWO) interviews coming up. The first is on Tuesday of next week and the next one is Aug. 12. They are both for high schools. The one on Aug. 12 is for an International Baccalaureate program, which is something I have always, always wanted to do. So, please send positive vibes in my direction. My dream is to get offered BOTH jobs, so I can choose the one I like the best.

In the meantime, I just got my scores on the CBEST. I needed to earn a 143 on the three parts together, and I scored 192. I am SOOOOO happy! That means that I am one step closer to my permanent CA credential. All I need to do now (and this is by far the hardest part) is to pass the CTEL exams. They are about teaching students whose first language is not English. I hear the tests are very hard. I bought a book to study, but have not started yet. My test is on Aug. 20. Wish me luck!

The universe doesn't revolve around me, even though this blog seems to tell you otherwise. Chris is doing well. He is seeing a physical therapist that he really respects and admires, and she is working with him on exercises that will help him build up his core muscles to better support his back and hopefully, relieve his pain. He loves it here...the weather suits him just fine!

The animals are all happy. Quincy has a bit of a friendship going finally with an old, old horse called Joker...a buckskin quarter horse gelding who stands next to Q and doesn't chase him around like so many of the others. That makes me very happy.

So, all in all, life is good. I miss Ithaca so much, though. Not the place. The people. YOU. I love you. I think of you all the time. I really do. Thank you to my students, especially Conor, who have kept in touch. I say especially Conor, because he has been calling and we've had some fantastic conversations, like the ones we used to have in my classroom. Keep them coming!

Much love to everyone. Remember to stay in touch. My beloved friends, Daniel and Gerry, will be coming in 3 weeks to spend some time with us, and I am sooooo looking forward to that.

Judy

2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your blog! :) We met at my house in Woodstock, NY. My son and I were having a yard sale. You were on the motorcycle, with your husband.
    Thanks for buying my movie, DETOUR. Hope you liked it! Sorry about your MVA! Glad you weren't hurt! Hope they can fix your car! Congratulations on your test scores!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Judy, that is a crazy story about the car. I'm glad you're OK. Good for you about the test scores and interviews. I'm happy dad's back is feeling better. Love and miss you!
    -Erik

    ReplyDelete