Sunday, June 16, 2013

6 More Days

Only 6 days until we leave! We've been working so hard to get the packing done. Every morning, there are new aches and pains to remind us of each box or piece of furniture we lifted the day before. No need to go to a gym lately, that's for sure.

The POD is half full now, but what's left to put in there is not the kind of stuff that you can pack nice and neat like boxes. Now, it's mostly bigger stuff...rocking chairs, lamps, etc... We've been playing a giant game of Tetris so far, but now it will be even trickier to get everything in safely, so it stays put on the long trip to California.

Today, Jake and Bittles will be going to their new home. It's going to be very strange to live here without them. We're taking their blankets and baskets so they have familiar places to sleep. The woman who is taking them emailed me to ask what their favorite brand of food is, which I thought was really nice. I just have this terrible fear of them trying to find us after we leave them...like that book I read when I was little, The Incredible Journey. I hope they will just stay put and be happy. I hope they don't feel abandoned. After this woman came forward, two other women emailed me saying they wanted them. When it rains, it pours, as Chris said.

Yesterday was my last Link Crew banquet. I kept the tears at bay, but it wasn't easy. I think I have turned on some kind of emotional uber-control...my way of coping with all the sadness I'm feeling about leaving Ithaca and all my friends and students is just to turn off the emotions and not feel anything. (except I haven't figured out how to dial down the stress yet). Anyway, the kids gave me and Kelly, my co-coordinator of Link Crew, copies of The Giving Tree, saying that it was a good metaphor for how Link Crew is all about doing good things for people without expecting anything in return. Well, we DID get lots in return...we got joy and challenge and love and pride and a sense of accomplishment that might not ever be paralleled again in my career. Link Crew has been such a huge part of my life for the last 7 years, I almost can't imagine life without it! I just want to wish that same amount of joy to the new coordinators, Amalie Gorbold and Meggie New. They have a lot of work ahead of them, but they have a great group of students ready to help them, so I think it will be great.

We have everything we need for Quincy's big adventure. We bought a 50 gallon water tank to fit in the truck bed so he can drink familiar water on the way. I haven't started packing at the barn yet, but it's mostly already in big bins, so it won't take long. I'm not looking forward to this marathon of driving, especially with a horse. Tomorrow, the vet is coming to do his health certification...an exam to make sure that he is in good enough condition to make the trip. It is required by state laws to have this done. I hope he passes inspection. Then, the farrier is coming to get his feet taken care of. I just can't wait to get to his new home and turn him out in his new pasture. He might never want to step foot in the trailer again, after this ordeal. Can you imagine standing up, balancing, in a tiny moving box, going 60 mph, for 3000 miles? I'm glad I get to sit down...that's all I can say!

No comments:

Post a Comment